May is National Pet Month. We at Orion Associates, Meridian Services and Zenith Services love pets. One of the benefits of working at the company is that you can bring your pet to work. Here are some fun facts about animals and tips to keep your pet healthy.
Here are some fun facts about pets!
- 60% of American households have 1 or more pet
- Dogs do not have an appendix
- Cats do not have collarbones or move their jaws from side to side
- The 1st pet insurance in America was purchased for the dog who played “Lassie
- Each cat and dog has a unique nose print; no two nose prints are the same
- Saluki is the oldest dog breed, which originated in Egypt
- A bird’s heart beats 400x per minute when they are not actively moving
- Goldfish can live up to 30 years in captivity with proper care
Here are some tips for a healthy pet!
- Keeping your pet’s nails trimmed, so they don’t get an ingrown nail that causes them pain
- Discard old worn out toys, old toys can be choking hazards and have sharp edges that harm pets
- Obesity can shorten your animal life span, so keeping them lean is important
- Socializing your pet with others at an early age helps reduce detrimental behavioral effects
- Take your animal to the vet regularly. Taking them often help reduce the risk of serious health problems
- A good diet will strengthen your animal’s immune system
- Keep your animal’s mouth clean by brushing their teeth. A clean mouth decreases dental pain for the pet
- Ensure your pet has a collar with an updated address and contact info. Microchipping your pet can help if your pet gets lost
Here are more fun facts about animals!
- Doctors recommend Emotional Support Animals for PTSD, anxiety, depression, stress, and social shyness
- Individuals who suffer from a mental disability show vast improvements with an Emotional Support Animal
- Pets help humans reduce stress better than other human companions
- When sea otters sleep, they hold hands to stop from drifting apart
- Having a pet can increase opportunities to socialize with others
- A male puppy will usually let a female puppy win while playing
- Pets aid in the recovery from heart attacks
- Having a pet helps increase your daily exercise